Status of OverDose

For discussing news, current events, films, gaming, rumours and all things that are going on in the world. Generally, anyway. No spam or thread will be removed.
Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Status of OverDose

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am

Ok guys, so... bad news...

OverDose at this point is pretty much dead in the water. All the media I created, which I spent many years worth of work on, is pretty much wasted. All the code, which was pretty much top notch stuff, is wasted.

In short... Unless there’s some miracle... OverDose is no more.

Now this has been a long time coming, what with Nicolas not wanting to work on it anymore for quite a long time now. The only thing that can be blamed on this falling apart is the complete lack of competent help. Some people helped and set us back years. Most people didn’t bother other than a single update. We got hit BAD when it came to help.

So what happens now? Well. Nothing. The forums and site will stay up for as long as I can afford to keep them going. The files will remain online (maybe) and on my HDD in case something amazing happens. I’ll ask be donating my work to other projects, as I r made a LOT of PBR model assets that can be used elsewhere. But really, right now, all I’m doing is working on Quake 2 remodels, and writing/illustrating my own children’s books. On a personal level, I’m not well, and up for another op soon sadly which won’t be a nice or easy one.

So yeah, I’m pretty much broken at this point. Losing OD has been... well, a huge loss to me. It was my own area of therapy to deal with my ill health and things. So right now, I’m at rock bottom again.

But anyway, that’s the state of things right now. Many, many years of really top notch work wasted, and me with my legs dangling off a bridge.

Feel free to keep on posting, laughing and doing everything that makes you you. I’ll be here, maybe just in a reduced capacity, while I work on some other things to keep my mind off things.

Love ya all.

X
Last edited by Gavavva on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lead Designer For Team Blur Games
Visit The OverDose Webpage & Forums

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:58 pm

Well this sums it all up hahaha! Bloody wind! But oh well! (Yes, this was an accident, j was upstairs at the time. Gutted!)
3CC8D37E-2F8B-45E1-8030-04EB48816BB4.jpeg
Last edited by Gavavva on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typh

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:39 pm

What can I say? (sorry for language, I'm italian)
I'm really shocked that such a big project
go thrown away like a cigarette!
Dear Gavin, you did an amazing job, models, textures ...
I followed the project from the beginning, always updating from sourceforge.
And now does Nicolas give up everything?
I no longer so young, but passion is always strong.
I can't help you, but I hope Nicolas will think about this project again.
Nicolas, great code you wrote! Don't throw in the towel now!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TyphJazz/videos
We start to grow old when we stop learning ...

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:28 pm

It’s not on Nicolás to be fair. He worked on this just as hard as I did, with some seriously impressive code work that would rival any pro out there. I mean that.

He lost heart on the project. Mostly because of the sheer lack of help. He did the job of a dozen people, at least. So did I. We made so much stuff, most of which was never actually seen in public. The trouble was, nobody would ever help. The few that did, which we were grateful for, ended up leaving.

So sure, Nicolas leaving was the final nail in the coffin. But the coffin lid was already on anyway. :( the guys not just a good coder, but an amazing one, and he was wasted on this anyway. Dude got talent, he just had enough. And I get that... I’ve felt that way many times in the past too. But for me, on a personal level, my art and my work was my therapy. It helped me grow as a person and let me unwind. So now I’m looking for new ventures. Would you believe that I’ve actually just finished writing a children’s book, and illustrated it? And it’s going off for publishing in the next week or so?

So please don’t let the blame be on Nicolás. Certainly wasn’t his fault. He just took the first step I guess.

Typh

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:09 pm

I don't want to blame Nicolas, for me he is and remains a great programmer. Of course you had help from the wrong pirates who left the ship, leaving the captains alone.
Good job Gavin! I hope your books give you peace and success.
Nicolas, if you're there, hit the beat! :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/TyphJazz/videos
We start to grow old when we stop learning ...

IZaRTaX

Post » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 am

Oh no! I hope this is not serious, I believe on it. You guys worked for 8 years + on this project.
Thought I can have a level designer position :D please don't let it die :'(
CoD4/CoD5/Bo3 Level Designer Mp / Zombie

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5F68A20EE7

Gregs2k2
[TBG] Moderator

Re: Status of OverDose

Post » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Gavavva wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am
The forums and site will stay up for as long as I can afford to keep them going.
Well, the site and forums will be around... forever? Considering.. y'know... ;)

GoldenThumbs

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 am

I was afraid of this after all the updates were slowing. Really makes me sad. I'd help if I could, but I don't think I'd be able to do much. I'm mostly an artist, but I can really only do good low-poly work. Been practicing my high-poly but I don't feel like my work would be that competent when compared to yours. My coding skills aren't that great either. I'd imagine you're codebase is in C++, and that language just confuses me more everytime I think I learn something about it. Hope someone else is able to help, but I'm afraid I'm just not good enough to help.

Berserk
[TBG] Admin

Post » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm usually totally against making what I think are private issues public, but I feel compelled to tell my side of the story after being pointed to this thread by someone else (yes, I left these forums over a month ago asking my user to be deleted but hey, it's still around so here I am), and it's not like this will be read by thousands of people anyway, so here we go...

First and foremost, I never abandoned OverDose. In fact, I'm still working on it alone, but I was thinking that eventually I would need to change its name and remove all the media that Gavin created to avoid any future conflicts. I was hoping this wasn't the case but it appears to be what I have to do now.

Yes, I haven't done much in the last few months, that's entirely true. A mix of lack of motivation and a series of events in real life have greatly affected my performance and prevented me from doing much lately (or anything at all at times). This never meant I would abandon what I do as a hobby in my spare time, so it never meant I would abandon OverDose at all. I'm well aware of the fact that OverDose was such an ambitious project for just two guys that it was highly likely it would never be finished, but even that didn't keep me away from working on it because as I just said, I do it as a hobby, so I'll keep on doing it no matter what. In fact I've been much more active in the last couple of weeks than I've been in the past few months, so I'm slowly picking it all up again.

Anyway, back to what actually happened...

Over a month ago Gavin proposed working again on Quake 2 Evolved instead, I suppose because of all the hype with the RTX version recently released by NVIDIA. I declined. Reason being that the code is too old and limited to be fun to work with. I did mention to Gavin a few months ago my desire to fix and update a few minor things in Q2E, mostly for personal use (yes, I still play Quake 2 from time to time, including coop with another friend of mine) but with the intention of making it public too just for the sake of it. I actually started working on updating the code to be able to build it in a modern version of Visual Studio with more up to date third-party libraries and all (can you believe that very old code just won't build in a modern compiler?) and was also willing to port over from OD quite a few things, but I stopped doing it when I got bored after a several days of the tedious job of bringing the whole project up to date and I realized how many things I wanted to port over from OD just wouldn't work at all in such an ancient and limited codebase. No matter how much I love Quake 2, working on it again just wouldn't be fun for me and it would be quite frustrating actually. That's the main reason why we stopped working on Q2E and switched to OverDose in the first place, so I didn't see the point in going back to it to be honest.

So, Gavin still seemed quite determined to work on Q2E so I basically just wished him good luck with it and made it very clear that I wasn't going to work on it, that if he preferred working on Q2E and letting OD die then so be it, but I still wasn't going to work on Q2E no matter what, that I may or may not continue working on OD alone if I had to, but I didn't want to work on an old and frustrating project. This, to me, is no reason to feel offended or get angry at someone, but apparently it's enough reason for him. He didn't even speak to me for a month. When he finally did, it was just a single message. Out of courtesy, a week later I tried speaking to him, and while we did exchange a few messages and had an apparently normal but very small conversation, he didn't seem in the mood for having a somewhat longer conversation and I didn't hear from him again since then either (which is totally NOT normal by the way). This was around a week ago. I won't try again. I don't have to. I'm not the one that felt offended for some reason, or the one that got angry at the other, so why should I keep trying?

Anyway, as I said, I'm still working on the code, albeit slowly. I know I'll eventually get back to my usual pace anyway, so I'm not too worried about that. I do this because it's my hobby so there's no reason for me to ever stop doing it. I will have to change the name and idea of the project and remove anything I didn't do myself as soon as possible, but the code will still be the same because it is all mine, so I don't have to scrap it all. I may or may not find people to work with, tho I still believe that once a few things are finished in the code I'll eventually find someone interested. But even if not, I'll still be doing this because I have nothing else to do in my spare time anyway (well, other than gaming, lol).

Thanks to everyone that kept around with us over the years. Maybe I never said it but I really appreciated all the support.

And thanks to Gavin for being the only one truly interested in working on this for so long until now. And thanks for everything else too, you know you were not just a teammate to me but also a friend. I totally understand you wanting to switch to a different project, but it's a shame you didn't understand me for declining to work on something so old. Good luck with Q2E or whatever you end up doing.

Laters people...