Updated Quake 2 Remodel & Retexture Work

Information on our Quake II Source Port and Graphical modification, Quake II Evolved, including help and support, features and downloads links.
Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Updated Quake 2 Remodel & Retexture Work

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

Putting together some new media for Quake 2 source ports, to be used in up to date engines such as Quake 2 RTX. I'll update here as I release them.

Armor Shard:
Comparison:
https://www.overdose-game.com/media/shard.png
Download OBJ:
https://www.overdose-game.com/files/Q2/armorShard.zip

StimPack:
Comparison:
https://www.overdose-game.com/media/sticmpack.png
Download OBJ:
https://www.overdose-game.com/files/Q2/stimPack.zip
Last edited by Gavavva on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lead Designer For Team Blur Games
Visit The OverDose Webpage & Forums

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am

Nice, i got all set up for some modeling and stuff, so if you want i can start making some models, what its needed now?

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am

I’m not sure atm, I’m kinda just starting. Items I’m all over atm, but weapons will be a pain. Textures are a big deal, as well, as there’s so many.

I checked out the RTX files and yeah, as I thought. They took the basic diffuse maps, and then slapped the nvidia normal map filter on them. They look utterly dreadful. But it’s quick and easy to get the new media working inside RTX.

In fact what I’ll do, is I’ll keep an updated file with them all in and working as I go.
Last edited by Gavavva on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I just want something to start modeling, but of course i would prefer to do something thats not too hard or complex to start.

metalmind

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Oh wow...this bring back so many memories.

I'd love to do some stuff, but I'm clueless when it comes to q2e. Don't even know where to start.
Last edited by metalmind on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

Don’t think as it as Q2E, just think of it as “quake 2”. So, this stuff needs to work on Q2E, other source ports, and quake 2 rtx.

As for where you start, man, just grab anything you want and go with the flow :) there’s no rules, just good art :)

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 am

Ill start working on a Barrel, classic stuff to start with ;)
Attachments
barrel start.png

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

I legit looked at that then and thought “man... that’s almost as bad as the original...” :D

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:28 am

Lol, placing the original model on a modern 3d Software was a trip to MD2 viewers and MilkShape, you must have some memories from that :D

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am

Yeah, its a trip... Gotta figure out how to animate the old models as well, at least I can use MD3 if nothing else lol. I updated my original post with files. I've got to take a couple days break while I upgrade and format.

Cap_Hotkill

Re:

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am

Gavavva wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am
I updated my original post with files.
good, that way we can use them as reference for what we need structurally speaking, so models can be extracted on Md3? will they work with Quake RTX though?

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

Well, you can use md2 for base quake 2 support, which has horrible vertex compression. You can also use md3 which still uses compression though much much less (you only see compression issues with animation, though you may notice some verts moving oddly in normal static use). Both Q2E and Q2 RTX support md3.

metalmind

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:07 pm

How do you guys import the md2 files to your editors? There are som very old md2 importers for 3dsmax, which really doesnt work.

Other than that I guess its the old diffuse/normalmap/specmap procedure?

metalmind

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Btw great job on the new website, forums looks very sexy on the phone. You've always had a great eye for forum design gav!

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Yup use D\N\S as usual, as then you can make them fit anywhere.

I used milkshake to import the nd2 and then export as obj to play with. Hacks but works fine!

And thanks :) shame it’s all dead as a dodo lol

Gregs2k2
[TBG] Moderator

Re:

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:57 pm

metalmind wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm
Btw great job on the new website, forums looks very sexy on the phone. You've always had a great eye for forum design gav!
And awesome friends who hosts him ;)

metalmind

Re: Updated Quake 2 Remodel & Retexture Work

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Dem sexy frends.

Quick start on the key pass HP. Low poly will kind of be like the original, maybe some addition of geo, but very basic.
KeyPass.JPG

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 pm

:thumbsUp:

I believe you can also use an addition _add image for glows and such just so you know :)

Cap_Hotkill

Re: Updated Quake 2 Remodel & Retexture Work

Post » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:31 pm

WIP
Barrel High.png
And something to add to your nightmares!
Yo ZBarrel.png
Last edited by Cap_Hotkill on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 am

KEEP THE FACE.

Nah but seriously. Liking what I’m seeing. Good stuff. The only crit I’ve got is those bolts look more like classic rivets on the original, and that the shape where the flat panels meet the round trim might be hard to low poly decent, but I may be taking out of my arse on that last one :)

Good stuff! Wish my pc was up, its 98 parts atm :( will hopefully be tomorrow some time.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 am

I’m going to lay down a few ground rules here, so that was have some things to stick too.

Tris count - As much as you need, to keep the shape you need, but don’t go crazy. We are still optimising things rather than just pumping them out :)

Format - Save in .obj alongside a md3 file. This way you will always have it on on hand.

Textures - Diffuse/Normal/Specular/Additive. Nothing more. In .tga format, uncompressed. This means we can drop these into any source port, and that’s what important here. You want these to work in any of the available source ports. The only issue is quake 2 rtx where you have to encode the spec into the normal maps alpha channel but that’s nothing serious.

UV Islands - remember that your UVs need decent spacing between islands, and that you need to extend your textures beyond this island to work well with mipping. Though with higher res assets, that’s not always an issue as much.

Texture Resolution - This is per asset. Smaller models like the shard, stick packs and things, will use 1024x512 or 1024x1024. This still has to look modern lol. The barrel I would anticipate 2048x1024 or 2048x2048. Monsters will likely be 2048x2048, or 4096x4096. Sadly the really annoying thing is we can only use one surface per model to keep things working... high sucks ass, because I like to use multiple surfaces, for things like glows and stuff. Much more optimised that way. But that’s not your fault, so, don’t worry about it :)

Model Smoothing - uv islands must have breaks in smoothing. That’s important, as the md2/md3 format wouldn’t support it else. Why does that matter? Well if you convert your high poly onto a low poly mesh that’s fully smoothed without breaks, the low poly ingame won’t look correct because the smoothing will be different :)

The golden rule for it all? Just use your noggin. You’re both good artists, you know what works :)

But I’m excited that this stuffs already showing promise. There’s no contract here boys, you do what you want, when you want, any time you want. You’re not employed. You’re not forced. The only thing I want you to do is have fun! And that’s what I’m doing.... I’m doing this to get my confidence back and have fun while enjoying my art :)
Last edited by Gavavva on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm

What tools you use to pass into md3? Milkshape?

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Yeah, I never bothered finding another plugin for max, I just used milkshake to export to .obj and then loaded the .obj.

I’m positive there are importers but after the old md5mesh/anim days I just stuck to what was easy and I knew worked :)

Cap_Hotkill

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Cool, im gonna start making the low poly, I will keep it under 6k polys or less, and textures 2048x2048. and lets see how it looks once in milkshape.
ZBarrel 2.png
ZBarrel 2.png (122.51 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Last edited by Cap_Hotkill on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 pm

6k?! For a barrel?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: those rivets on the top around the barrel, I would make them separate geo, otherwise you’re going to run into an odd smoothing issue there where it looks less like a rivet and more like a continuation of the barrel. This looks more like what they had in mind, imo? Easier to do as well :)
A64A596A-74D2-40C2-A1FA-F81E0F38BBB2.jpeg
Last edited by Gavavva on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.