Your First "Proper" PC Gaming Experience?

For discussing news, current events, films, gaming, rumours and all things that are going on in the world. Generally, anyway. No spam or thread will be removed.
Gregs2k2
[TBG] Moderator

Your First "Proper" PC Gaming Experience?

Post » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 pm

Here's an interesting thread on your first 'true' PC gaming experience. My memory is hazy, but here's what I recall, back in the day:

An IBM Aptiva. Remember thinking "wow!" - especially when I got the Internet, then an Orchid Righteous 3D 3Dfx card. My friend worked in a game shop that sold refurb'd consoles and had a couple of PCs. I remember trading in my US SNES and Japanese Megadrive with a crap load of games and controllers. I wanted that PC! The year feels a little vague, maybe it was 1995?

Oh my, those were the days. Playing MDK, Quake and Tomb Raider with a post support "3Dfx patch" that added support for smooth textures and 'blistering' framerates.

I an still hear that magical *click* when the GPU kicked in (used a 2D VGA to 3D VGA bypass cable back in those days). We've been well and truly spoiled since then. Both in terms of hardware performance and sheer detail that modern games bring.

Cap_Hotkill

Re: Your First "Proper" PC Gaming Experience?

Post » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm

In my case it was when I got a Voodoo3 2000 PCI after Christmas, the one I got for Christmas was a Voodoo3 3000 AGP, with TV output, that i could not fit on my Acer Aspire because it lacked AGP ports, so it had to be return and changed... :oops:, when I finally got my V3 2000 PCI, I got it installed and the first game i tried was Quake 2 of course :lol: . It ran so much better than in Software mode, and the illumination and smoothness of the whole game was impressive back in the day. Still, got the card lying somewhere, I miss 3DFX.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Maxi Gamer 3d, with 8mb onboard memory. Hardcore. In Quake 2 with Glide, 640x480, sometimes being a madman and going 1024x768. It was heavy coming from Goldeneye and its amazing 11fps.
Lead Designer For Team Blur Games
Visit The OverDose Webpage & Forums

Berserk
[TBG] Admin

Post » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Hmm... first PC game I played was either Wolf3D or Doom, don't remember. I do remember Quake 2 was the first one I played with a Voodoo... in fact, I got the Voodoo after seing GLQuake in action on a friend's PC. It was so fucking amazing back at the time, I basically ran to the store to get one because I HAD to get one. Was a Diamond Monster 3D BTW...

Berserk
[TBG] Admin

Post » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Gregs2k2 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 pm
Oh my, those were the days. Playing MDK, Quake and Tomb Raider with a post support "3Dfx patch" that added support for smooth textures and 'blistering' framerates.
Oh yeah, I remember the first Tomb Raider too. It ran on Glide... back when Glide was more widespread than OpenGL and Direct3D was a random mess and totally shite.

Agent Slacker

Post » Tue May 07, 2019 4:13 am

Man, I feel so young despite being so old. My first true experience with PC gaming was probably TF2 back in 2011. It finally went F2P and all I had was a toaster of a machine that eventually died because I pumped it full of viruses. Anyways, about 2 years later, I got a decent laptop for college, and I was FINALLY able to play TF2 properly. I also remember playing the first BioShock and CoD 2 and 4 on that lappytop for quite some time.

Gavavva
[TBG] Admin

Post » Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Seeing some classics like quake run on my mates pc. I knew I needed one, and by the time I did I was so knee deep in quake 2 that it wasn’t even funny. Action quake 2 came around and I was playing with that more than I was playing with myself, which for a randy kid was impressive.

I still remember when I put my first glide gpu into my pc and activated beast mode. *click* ohhh yeah, let’s see that sexy 8meg graphics you slut... oh man, 800x600 at nearly 60fps, what magic is this...

Man those were good times...

I’m so strapped for cash these days that I can’t even afford a new cpu, and am still rocking the same one from 10 years back... but nothing beats that fresh new parts memory...
Lead Designer For Team Blur Games
Visit The OverDose Webpage & Forums

Gregs2k2
[TBG] Moderator

Post » Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm

I also remember how amazing Unreal Tournament ran under Glide. HEADSHOOOOOT!